WHAT ARE THE BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS FOR THIS ROLE OF DEACON WITHIN THE CHURCH?
The term “deacon” simply means “one who serves.” Ephesians 4:12 describes how all the saints are to be equipped for “service.” This is the word from which we derive “deacon.” So on the one hand, serving is something everyone in the Body of Christ is called to do and it is the task of pastors, teachers, evangelists, prophets to equip the people. When viewed this way, everyone is called to be a deacon. On the other hand, it seems from 1 Timothy 3:8-13, that there are some in the Body of Christ who are to be “called out” or “appointed” to serve in such a way that assists those who oversee the church family.
MINISTRY DESCRIPTION OF A DEACON AT ARNOLD COMMUNITY CHURCH:
• Work closely with the Lead Pastor in discerning and assessing pastoral care issues within the church family.
• Visitation of and prayer with those who are sick, elderly, and shut in.
• Hospital visitation when called upon to encourage and pray with those in medical care.
• Administration of communion with those who are shut in and cannot attend worship services.
• In connection and communication with those who organize meals for families who have newborns, health challenges, or who need short term assistance.
We are excited about the caregiving role these people already have within our community and desire to become increasingly effective in our pastoral caregiving. Pray for this team as they serve because they are here FOR YOU!